Plantar Fasciitis is a medical condition associated with the heel of your foot, caused by straining the ligament in your foot which supports your foot’s arch. This ligament can swell and become irritated due to continued strain from standing and walking especially on hard surfaces. Plantar Fasciitis comes from plantar fascia, which is the ligament joining your heel bone to the toes, which is the ligament that gets inflamed. This pain will build up from your heel to your toes that walking alone will cause problems with incredibly paralyzing pain.
There are three sure ways to know that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis and jumping into looking for a solution;
- Feeling some stabbing pain in your heel or entire foot
- Having trouble standing or walking for long time due to pain
- When you wake up in the morning, you feel some shooting pain when you stand
- There is reduced pain when exercising, but it comes back once you’re done exercising
In case you have an occupation that requires you to stand the better part of the day, then the last thing you want to take for granted is the pain that comes from this problem. Chances are, you are using the wrong shoes and you need to change and use the right shoes. Having the right footwear for your daily errands is so essential. But what makes a boot right for plantar fasciitis patients? Work boots for plantar fasciitis should have the following;
- Contoured Footbed- A contoured footbed naturally conforms to your foot and takes the shape of a healthy foot. It efficiently supports the arch by supplying proper cushioning and produces less strain on the ligament.
- Shock-absorbing insole- A well-cushioned insole absorbs the shocks from standing or walking on hard surfaces apart from alleviating pressure from the weight being placed on your arches.
- Lower heels- You should choose a medium-sized heel for your work boot. Higher heels are likely to cause unnecessary pressure and increased tension on the plantar fascia, while a flat outsole will contribute to the problem.
- Lace-up boots- Boots that have a lace-up feature are adjustable for support and less likely to let your feet and heels slip, opposed to pull-on work boots or zippers. They keep your foot where it should be.
- Orthotic Inserts- Look out for work boots that already have orthotic inserts. If however, the boots have everything else needed and fit you budget, you can decide to separately buy the orthotics which you can swap with the boots’ insoles.
- Material and build- The material used to manufacture the work boot gives you an idea of how long the boots will last, plus their benefits like water proofing. They should be equipped with high quality material like leather, memory foam, steel, mesh fabric, suede and many more.
- Check out the prices of different work boots as each brand has different prices for otherwise similar products. Keep in mind that the best boot will always cost more than an average work boot, but within a given range of price you can easily get a work boot that fits your desires.
Getting the best work boots if you are suffering from plantar fasciitis can give you hard time. This is because there are so many options to pick from, which makes choosing difficult since most of them have almost similar features. To make it easy for you we will go through the best five work boots for Plantar Fasciitis.
One of the most respected brands in the boot-manufacturing industry is Timberland. They have earned respect from their products that are quality, durable, classy and comfortable. Timberland Pro Pitboss lives to the expectations being a high quality work boot for not only anyone with plantar fasciitis but also anybody who wants to enjoy a comfortable work boot.
This work boot features a sturdy tight-grained leather construction which gives you confidence of the work boot’s durability. The sole is slip, oil-resistant and non-marking while the toe box is roomy. The upper portion of the boot is attached to the sole using Goodyear welting.
Timberland Pro Pitboss has an open-cell polyurethane footbed and polyurethane midsole which wicks out moisture and absorbs shock. The interior comes with a liner which enhances its breathability and an antimicrobial treatment which controls odor. An extra wide steel toe protection keeps your toes safe from falling objects.
These work boots are breathable and sturdy hence comfortable to be worn all day. Besides, they have some more padding on the collar and tongue which improves comfort, and an outsole that is both oil and slip resistant.
- This is a very sturdy and durable work boot constructed using genuine leather.
- The padding on the collar and tongue offers you extra comfort
- A comfort suspension system helps reduce foot fatigue
- These boots use a shock diffusion plate to stabilize the foot and disperse pressure from walking or running.
- Timberland Pro Pitboss is very breathable due to the inside liner which also has an antimicrobial treatment that prevents odor
- Like other high-quality work boots, Timberland Pro Pitboss has an electrical hazard protection
- The outsole provides an ample traction for gripping slippery floors
- They have an excellent arch support
- Goodyear welt construction
- These boots require a longer break-in period due to the sturdy material construction
- The sizes run a little bit small for some people and it is difficult to get the exact size
- They are not water proof
Caterpillar is a brand recognized worldwide in the style and work industry because of their line of products that are great for both outdoors and using at work. One of their best work boots are the Caterpillar 2nd shift work boots that are not only protective but also incredibly comfortable.
The upper of these boots is constructed using a full-grain leather while its sole is man-made. The full grain leather construction is great at keeping water at bay while the outsole is slip resistant. It has an internal nylon mesh lining that will wick away any moisture before your feet become sweaty.
Talking about comfort, these boots come with unique internal ‘climasphere’ socks that act to keep you cool on hot days and warm when the weather is cold. This is a work boot made to serve you all year round. The heel arch is ladder-safe and with the outstanding sole traction you are assured of comfort and stability no matter what.
Despite its rugged appearance, it has an incredibly soft insole which might not be as thick as most plantar fasciitis patients would have preferred but will offer more comfort to your feet. The outsole however is made of thick and genuine rubber which goes a long way in absorbing shock and supporting your weight. Caterpillar 2nd shift is a work boot with a near perfect rating and it is rare to hear complains about them.
- The padded ankle collar and tongue provide your feet with extra support and comfort
- Features a durable and robust leather construction
- The fit will be as expected for most plantar fasciitis patients
- These boots come in three different colors from which you can choose
- They are made from water resistant weather, but you can still make them water proof
- The nylon mesh lining guarantees breathability
- The outsole is thick and made of genuine rubber and has slip resistant threads
- They take long to break in since they are quite stiff upon purchase
- Despite the insole having a perfect contour, it is too thin
Wolverine is a legendary American brand which blends superior material with endless expertise. The Wolverine Raider Boots are made to survive even the toughest environments with great innovation and patented technologies. If what you are looking for is an attractive work boot for plantar fasciitis but offering comfort for a long period of time, then you need to consider this.
The brown-colored boots have this classic look with their uppers made of full grain leather. They are lined with mesh which enhances breathability while the contour welt technology blends sneakers’ flexibility with the durability of work boots to give you style and strength. Besides, the boots have a flexible nylon shank and a very lightweight polyurethane midsole.
The tough leather is easy to clean up and the cushioned collar helps to keep foot pain at bay. These boots are available in different sizes, 7-14, with the shaft, heel and platform measuring 5.5”, 1.25” and 0.75” from arch respectively.
Matters comfort, these boots have Multishox individual comfort systems that react to any movement from your feet. Individual compression pads at foot and heel soak up shock in the points it is needed most and returns energy at each step. This provides utmost comfort all day. The multishox insole is a cushioned removable footbed that reduces pressure in the heel. It is customizable so you can add your own individual orthotics. With this boot you get the full support a work boot should offer with the comfort of an athletic shoe.
Wolverine Raider Boot has a slip, oil and abrasion-resistant rubber lug outsole, a polyurethane midsole, a contour welt construction for safety and flexibility and a breathable mesh lining which helps avoid foot pain from spreading further or intensifying. The full-cushioned insole reduces the pain and the boots virtually eliminate any problem that arises from plantar fasciitis
The contour welt construction makes squatting and kneeling easy. These are durable boots which, if worn on a daily basis, can last up to 5 years. The two standard loops that cross the laces for tying add to safety and allow you to tighten or loosen as you please. The mid-ankle support gives you grip on greasy surfaces and makes you feel safe.
- Full-grain Leather Upper
- The mesh lining is comfy and breathable
- Multishox individual comfort system provides utmost comfort all day
- The tough leather is easy to clean up
- The contour welt construction makes it flexible and safe
- This boot is pain relieving
- The outsole is slip and oil resistant
- A little bit squeaky
- Lacks insulation in extreme conditions
- There is no steel toe cap to save you from falling objects
When shopping for the best work boots for plantar fasciitis, be sure to come across a product from Skechers. Their waterproof boots feature a water proof upper section made of leather with a natural finish. If you do not want a complicated design of a workboot, then this might impress you as it has a simple traditional design. These boots are available in five masculine colors and all are wide boots so you do not need to be worried if you have a rounded toe front or an extra wide foot.
These boots’ tongue and collar have some cool padding that enhances comfort. Besides, the boots are very durable and have some metal eyelets which make it easy to adjust laces. Thanks to light insole padding and smooth fabric lining, these boots are very comfortable and breathable.
Skechers USA Men’s verdict waterproof boots also feature a steel shank in the midsole which provides support and extra stability. They also have a memory foam insole which is very comfortable. The outsole is made of a rugged rubber lug which offers excellent traction on all surfaces.
- The wide fit design is so comfortable even for those with wide feet
- Each boot has a padded collar for additional comfort
- Metal eyelets
- The boots come in five different masculine colors
- The steel shank in the midsole provides additional support and stability
- The rugged rubber outsole provides excellent traction on all surfaces
- These are seam-sealed boots with water proof uppers
- Lacks a steel toe
- Can be quite heavy for a user who is walking for a long distance
- They are quite uncomfortable in the first few days of wearing, especially around the ankles
- The waterproof agent on the upper part of the boots wears off quite fast
- For adequate support for your plantar fasciitis feet you might need additional inserts
The first time you hold these boots with your bare hands you can tell their quality. And they are likely to catch your eye since they are so stylish. They are built using leather and the craftsmanship is quite breath-taking.
To start with, these boots are ISO 9001 certified and this is such a big deal in the construction industry. Their outsole is made of polyurethane with the MAXwear technology, providing a non-slipping and abrasion-resistant advantage to the boot. In addition to that, they have an electrical hazard protection and a composite shank, both of which are so vital in most occupations these days.
As a plantar fasciitis patient, you will enjoy two awesome features from these boots. They will not only support your feet but also fight against the pains that come with the condition. The two features are;
- A cotton drill vamp lining to achieve great breathability as well as an ergonomic design essential for plantar fasciitis
- Removable shock absorption inserts which provide support and comfort around the key parts of your feet.
These boots are well made with Vibram non-marking, slip resistant wedge soles and Goodyear welt construction. They also have a removable dual density footbed which sits on the Poron 4000 comfort cushion which provides the support and resilience needed by people with plantar fasciitis. This reduces leg fatigue and back discomfort.
- They are light and good for walking long distances
- The insole construction is aimed at reducing strain
- The outsole is oil and heat-resistant
- They are stylish and eye-candy
- The steel toe is ASTM-rated
- Slip resistant and non-marking tread
- Not waterproof hence its outdoor use is limited
- Lack insulation
- The collar is not padded like other work boots
- Likely to feel irritation at the base of the instep if in any case the boots are not properly fitted
Our topic pick for the best work boot for plantar fasciitis is Timberland Pro Men’s Pitboss 6” Steel Toe Boot due to a number of reasons. However, the fact that this boot perfectly balances all important aspects, from comfort, durability, performance and cost is reason enough to make you go for it. Of course, good work boots cost more while the opposite is true, but there are boots that offer more for less, and that is where our number one falls. That’s not to say that the other work boots are not good, they all are. These are five of the best work boots for plantar fasciitis.
We hope the above information will help you make a good decision as you look forward to get a solution for your plantar fasciitis.