Finding a good work boot is not easy these days. Especially with the market awash with different types of work boots. You will find very many heavy duty boots out there but very few of them have what it takes to protect your feet and do it for long before giving up to a harsh work environment. If in case you are working on rain or snow, you will realize that most boots let in water and your feet feel cold. The materials are either leather or rubber.
If you want to buy work boots, we will advise you to choose rubber. There are many reasons for this. First, they don’t hold scent like leather and the material is airtight. Rubber doesn’t let water through whereas leather can. Rubber work boots are suitable for almost all work environments but particularly they are ideal for wet conditions.
Here are some of the advantages of a rubber work boot;
- Rubber boots retain heat. They are excellent for use during cold or wet weather conditions.
- Rubber is completely water proof. If you have a rubber work boot, be assured that no water or fluid will pass through. This means you can wear them in wet conditions with no fear.
- Always boots that have rubber outsoles offer great traction and grip properties. This helps protect you against slips and falling on oily or generally wet surfaces
- Like the other work boots, rubber boots also come with a steel toe and a myriad of other safety features. Electrical hazard protection is one of the main properties of rubber work boots.
- Once you get a rubber boot, you will realize that they are extremely easy to clean. You only need to rinse them immediately after use and keep them for their next use.
- Most of them are slip-on. You do not need to tie laces and waste time, you just slip in your feet and pull them on, which is easy and fast.
So, what should a good rubber work boot have? Well, a good rubber work boot should have the following features;
- Should be made from the finest quality and durable rubber
- The soles should be oil and slip resistant
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Should be insulated and comfortable inside
- The footbed should be padded, with a comfortable insole which will provide cushioning and shock-absorbing
- Has either a composite safety toe or a steel safety toe
- Usually calf length so as to protect your legs and ankles
- Chemical resistant and abrasion resistant
- Durable, safe and comfortable
Besides this, when you are buying a rubber work boot you should know the extras of the boot and their pros and cons. This translates to what you will be considering when buying a rubber work boot. They include;
- The material type used to construct the upper. This can be neoprene or rubber. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber that is resistant to liquids, chemicals and most oils. It is however less resistant to punctures, cuts and abrasion. Natural rubber on the other hand resists water, bases, alcohols and acids.
- Protective overlays. These provide added stubbing and protect the boot from abrasion. You will see them around the Achilles tendon areas and toes.
- Slip-in boots or those ones with zips are easy to wear and get rid of.
- An insulated work boot gives you more freedom of usage that an uninsulated one. Besides, your safety is guaranteed from any electrical hazard
- Some rubber boots are designed to keep your feet in place. This ensures superior ankle and heel support in case of a long walk and if your boots get into deep mud you will easily pull through. Good rubber work boot should be breathable. To achieve this they should have linings, especially vulcanized rubber. The most popular types of linings are mesh and fleece.
- Steel toes. Steel toes are important for your feet’s safety.
- Well, there are rubber boots designed for hunting while others are meant for all purposes. Go for an all-purpose rubber boot as it will allow you to do more than just one type of work when wearing them.
- Shaft length. A rubber work boot with long shaft will be more protective than those with shorter ones. Choose a rubber work boot that is between 6-18 inches.
Here are five of the best rubber work boots. We have reviewed them so that we make it easy for you the next time you go shopping for rubber work boots.
This is a seamless work boot with an injection-molded polyblend PVC that is 100% waterproof but so flexible for comfort. This boot will not be affected by animal waste, fertilizers or any other agricultural chemicals. The material is specially formulated to resist degradation from any harsh chemicals found on outdoor job sites. This boot has a steel toe that gives impact protection from any heavy falling debris that might injure your toe as you work.
For an all-day comfort, this boot has a contoured molded heel which locks your heel in place. This prevents you heel from slipping around while inside the boot hence discomfort. The boot is finished with a unique cleated Trac10 outsole that provides reliable traction on slippery surfaces. The PVC polyblend molded construction remains flexible even in cold environments and makes your movement equally easy.
Servus uses CT Comfort technology, a unique scalloped top-line design that accommodates flexing for added comfort. The insole is lightweight and foot form contoured, and provides an excellent arch and heel support. The insole is removable, washable, and replaceable. The outsole on the other hand has a deep-angled design which enhances slip resistance as well as stability underfoot. Heel slippage is also stopped by the contoured heel cup molding. Critical stress points in this boot have reinforced constructions which add durability and a long boot life.
- Made of injection-molded 100% waterproof polyblend PVC
- Can’t be affected by animal waste, fertilizers or any other agricultural chemical
- Comes with a steel toe that ensures protection and safety for your toes
- Has a contoured molded heel that locks your heel in place and stops it from slipping in the boot
- Trac10 outsole has reliable traction
- The boot is flexible even in cold environments
- The unique scalloped top line adds comfort accommodates flexing
- Removable insole that is washable and replaceable
- Deep-angled outsole which is slip-resistant and stability enhancing.
- Heel cup molding stops heel slippage
- Critical stress points have reinforced constructions that add durability
- There is a problem with sizing
- They have some odor when you buy them which takes time to go away
The brand Muck Boots is best known for its superb waterproofing capabilities. We already identified waterproofing as rubber’s biggest strength. Despite this, most boots cause feet to sweat and that is where The Adult Chore beats them. This boot has a breathable mesh lining which will keep your feet dry both inside and out.
Adult Chore also comes with a wide range of incredibly comfortable features that will ensure you have an extra care. These include a quality steel shank and a 5mm CR flex-foam. This boot is all about protection. Besides, the high quality rubber brings along protection with the electrical hazard protection, triple toe and a quadruple heel rubber reinforcement. They also have a comfort range which will help you in sub-freezing temperatures.
This boot is made of 50% rubber and 50% nylon with a rubber sole. The heel measures about one inch and the platform about ¾”. The shaft is approximately 15.5” from the arch and the boot opening is approximately 17.75”. The wide heel makes it stand out from the rest of other muck boots. It provides additional comfort and stability as you do your work which requires standing and occasionally bending for the whole day. Such a lightweight boot giving you the heavy duty protection that Adult Chore accords you. The tall shaft features a toe and heel area, a reinforced Achilles, a comfy breathable lining and a gathered collar that keeps water, mud and gravel at bay. That these boots are unisex is quite something, plus the ease of cleaning them after use. They are so easy to clean!
- Superb waterproofing capabilities
- Have a breathable mesh lining that keeps feet dry
- Comes with a 5mm CR flex-foam and a quality steel shank
- Has an electrical hazard protection
- Can help you even in sub-freezing temperatures
- Triple and quadruple heel rubber reinforcement
- Has a gathered collar to keep away water, mud and gravel
- Easy to clean after use
- Most customers showed concerns about their durability
Another brand that is well-known when it comes to manufacturing of work boots is Bogs, especially in rubber boots. This work boot, Bogs Classic, is completely waterproof and made for comfort and endurance. It can be worn in the wettest condition with no liquid penetrating through since it is 100% water resistant.
Made of high-quality rubber, the stretchable neoprene is waterproof and will help retain heat. The rubber sole has a high traction with an excellent grip as well as traction on any wet surface. It also comes with a removable sock liner that will help keep your feet cool and free from moisture and odor. In cold conditions your feet are likely to be kept warm by the boot, which will keep them cool if you go to warmer environments.
Added cuffs help seal the boot and prevent water or any other liquid from seeping in. This is a great boot if you intend to trek in wetlands or snow. The interior is lined with Bogs Max-Wick which helps keep your feet dry. The EVA footbed has DuraFresh biotechnology which activates to fight odor while equipped with Neo-Tech where the four way stretch inner bootie provides you with insulation and comfort. The shaft is approximately 12 inches from the arch while the boot opening measures around 16 ¼ inches around.
- Completely water proof and 100% water-resistant
- Made of high quality rubber
- Stretchable neoprene helps retain heat
- Rubber sole has a high traction
- Added cuffs seal the boot to prevent any liquid from seeping in
- The interior is lined with Bogs Max-Wick which will keep your feet dry
- EVA footbed has DuraFresh technology that activates to fight odor
- Neo-Tech helps with insulation and comfort
- Has a long break in period
- Some clients had issues with the sizing of these boots
This is an all-day comfort work boot that is designed to be the most secure, practical and fun waterproof work boot. It is black in color with fun prints that add style. Besides, the outsole has excellent lug treads that are heavy duty offering excellent traction. The soft leather upper material is easy to clean and gives the boot its waterproofing and durability qualities.
Made in USA, this boot is manufactured using 100% recyclable material. It offers you maximum comfort thanks to the exclusive ‘All-day comfort’ insole with a 7mm thickness. It also has a lower and wider opening compared to other boots and this creates more room for your calf and pants.
It is easy to clean this boot as all you need to do is wipe with a wet cloth or hose off while the insole is removable hence you can soak and air dry it to clean. You can also contact Sloggers in case you need to replace the insoles.
This is a great boot, recyclable, non-latex and vegan friendly.
- Fashionable boots
- It is lightweight
- This is a versatile boot that you can use in different work environments
- It is not expensive
- Slip resistant
- A bit tight and not very comfy
- There are complains that these boots run a bit small
If you are a worker in the agricultural sector, then this boot is for you. It is lightweight yet so durable that it can stand extreme work environments and conditions. The lightweight material used to make this boot is aimed at reducing the strain on your feet whenever you wear them for long. It is completely waterproof that your feet will always be kept dry while moisture and hazardous liquids are kept out.
In addition to all these, the boot is flexible and will move with your feet which will actually be so comfortable. Its outsole has a treading that has an excellent grip to ensure secure footing. This is a boot designed to withstand the most harsh work environment and in general, Baffin boots are known for a unique sole design. This boot’s sole and midsole are molded together at the base and this offers a good grip and balance to the feet of the wearer. It is a slip-on boot so putting it on is not only effortless but also fast.
What makes this work boot be suitable for all work environments, while others are specifically good for some, is the technology used in its manufacture. A combination of leading molding technology and foam-based inner boot system creates a hybrid style of this high-performance work boot. The result is a warmer boot with a better fit and superior comfort.
The shaft of this work boot is about 14.5 inches from the arch while the boot opening is about 17 inches around. Like other boots, this one is also easy to clean. The outsole is a marvel as it is made up of numerous advanced thermo-set polymers that are combined to achieve that perfect balance of protection, low height, grip and warmth. Besides, the sole is self-cleaning and durable as well. When you get this boot, be sure you have a tough and durable footwear to last you for long.
- Can withstand all types of work environments
- It is light
- Flexible and can move with your feet
- Water resistant and waterproof
- Tough and durable
- It is a slip-on boot hence easy to wear and pull off
- Hybrid style work boot created using a combination of great technologies
- Outsole is durable and self-cleaning
- Midsole and outsole meet at the base offering good grip of the feet and stability
- Self-cleaning sole
- Customers complained that the boots were large
- Complains of quality too, with some saying that the work boots crack after some time
With the above information, your choice of a rubber boot is likely to be better, one that you won’t regret. Better still, the above five work boots are among the best and choosing any of them will be value for your money.