One of the things that keep a car in shape and maintain its book value is how it looks. Trust me, if you were to sell your car today, much of the negotiations would be argued with how it looks. If it looks old, it’s a loss. You might however want to refurbish it and give it a new look all together before having it in the showroom. Repainting the car is the first thing you should consider. A car, once repainted well with a nice finish, becomes new and its value appreciates from what it would have been before repainting. Or maybe you might be intending to change its color.
Car painting is very delicate. It is a job that needs to be done by someone who is extremely keen on details as well as experienced. Besides, it needs the best tools to do the job. A spray gun is irreplaceable when it comes to this. This is an investment in motor care.
Choosing a paint sprayer for your car is something you should take serious. Do not buy because it is rated as a car paint sprayer, or because it is cheap, you need to consider different factors.
- Quality. Quality should be the first thing you look at when you go to buy any tool. A low quality sprayer will frustrate you by breaking down soon after purchase, or start leaking and that will be costly. A good quality paint sprayer will make your work quick and easier. To be assured of the quality of the sprayer you are buying, it is advisable that you go for a well-reputed brand.
- Type. The type of sprayer that you buy also matters a lot. Major paint sprayer types are three; conventional, HVLP and airless. Conventional sprayers use an air compressor to push the paint. Airless sprayers are electric/battery powered and run on an energy source while the HVLP sprayers work with low air but produce great results. These are so far the most efficiency.
- Cost. What is your budget? It is important to narrow down your search to a given price range so that you buy something affordable. You also need to know that the cheapest alternative doesn’t offer the best option while over-spending too much on one sprayer to paint just one car might be absurd too. Choose a sprayer that will not only fit your budget but also be compatible with your needs.
- Features. Each day new paint sprayers are manufactured and there is an improvement that is being done. Companies are bringing in more technology. It is important to check out the features in each paint sprayer, mostly in cases where you have different paint sprayers from which you want to choose.
- Reviews. Now, after comparing all the products, it is prudent to hear what other people have to say about it. And since it is impossible to make calls and ask people what their experience with a paint sprayer was (some haven’t used that paint sprayer!), you should read what users have to say about it by reading reviews. These get to tell you what a seller won’t tell you. They open your eyes and give you an idea of what to expect, hence time to change your mind or confirm your choice.
To make it easy for you, we will go through five of the best car paint sprayers.
Our Review of the Best Car Paint Sprayer
Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-670 Solvent Based HVLP Gravity Feed Paint Gun
With this paint sprayer you are guaranteed superior results with several applications. It offers the latest enhanced atomization technology and this is one of the reasons it tops this list. It doesn’t bound you with application limitations and even though good at DIY car painting, it can be pretty awesome for you if you are into some business.
At 23 PSI, Devilbiss requires 13 CFM and offers uniform coating with a high quality finish. It is famous for its precision machined air cap and fluid nozzles with which it achieves excellent finishes. The cleaning process of this paint sprayer is also easier due to its anodized body and internal passages, a feature that makes it also stand out. Being a HVLP paint sprayer, Devilbiss offers a soft sprayer with adjustable patterns.
Finishline weighs only 1.5 pounds. What does this mean? It means that you do not have to stain yourself a lot trying to control it. Besides, this gun comes with three different tips, 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8mm tips. The gun also comes with a 900Cc aluminum cup with a plastic cover which is sturdy and dependable. Other components of the paint sprayer are made of stainless steel which ensures strength and durability. What’s more, Devilbiss has an air adjusting valve and gauge to ensure you have control over its functioning.
This is a well-respected paint sprayer and if you buy it to paint your car, it is a good investment. However, you have to remember that it is only a spray gun so you will need a compressor separately.
- Lightweight with only 1.5 pounds
- Made from sturdy and durable material
- Has low overspray and bounce back
- It is easy to clean
- Devilbiss comes with multiple tips
- Works great with latex and other heavier paints
- You do not have to thin the paint
- Comes with no filter in the cup
- The fan pattern might not be wide enough for all jobs
- Lacks a storage case
Wagner 0529031 MotoCoat Complete Car & Truck Paint Sprayer
This paint sprayer is specially made for the DIY auto-enthusiasts as well as installers. It also comes with two separate cup and nozzle attachments and a portable X-Boost turbine. You can use this paint sprayer to paint on any surface without having to look for any additional equipment (not even an air compressor).
An iSpray nozzle helps spray protective coatings top create a thick and textured coat while the detail finish nozzle is excellent for thinner paints. The gun sprays your paint evenly to create a smooth finish.
The paint sprayer also comes with a 39-feet high-flex hose which allows for complete maneuverability around the vehicle you are painting. The attachments too separate from the gun conveniently for quick and easy cleaning as well as color changes. Wagner is likely to give you a wide variety of coatings with no trouble at all, a very low overspray, easily adjustable controls and a safe design.
It feels like this spray painter was manufactured with automobiles in mind. Works perfect with Plasti Dip and any other light to heavy coating, and is an extremely affordable option if you do not intend to spend all your money on that.
- It works best with Plasti Dip
- Has 2X Nozzles for high quality finishes
- Comes with a 39-foot hose which makes maneuverability easy
- Compared to other similar spray painters, this one comes at a relatively lower price
- Wagner MotoCoat is extremely easy to clean
- Has got very low overspray
- Easily adjustable controls
- Has two separate cup and nozzle attachment
- Applies a wide variety of coatings
- There has been a complaint on clogging of the guns
Graco Sharpe 288878 HVLP FX3000
This is one of the most dependable paint sprayers in the market currently, with its output only being compatible with those of high-end spray painters. FX3000 is a lightweight 1.0mm HVLP gravity fed spray gun. It is compacta and its handling is quite easy for you to achieve your desired finish. Whether a professional car painter or just a DIY’er, you will love what this spray gun has to offer.
It comes with a paint cup lid which you can pull open to monitor the paint level. Graco FX3000 is easy to set up and clean, which is a great feature for everyone with no time wasted. The package includes the FX30000 gun, 600cc aluminum cup, a wrench and a cleaning brush. There are five different tip sizes from which you can choose; 1, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.8mm.
- Several tip sizes available
- Gives an even finish
- Easy to control the spray pattern for an even finish
- Needs no expertise hence a great gun for beginners
- It is compact and lightweight
- New tips are so expensive
- Has a smaller fan pattern
- The nozzle gasket is frail
- Customers have complained of nozzle leaks
Fuji 2203 Semi-PRO 2- Gravity Spray System
This is another high-rated yet so affordable spray system. Made by the popular brand Fuji, the Fuji Semi-PRO is a crowd pleaser for professionals and beginners alike. It is a professional non-bleed spray gun that comes with an adjustable pattern fan control.
One of the most powerful 2-stage spray systems available, Fuji 2203 has a 1.3mm air cap set installed and a 400cc gravity cup. There is also a metal turbine case featuring a handy gun holder and a 25-foot hose which has an air control valve. The air control valve can be used to reduce any instances of overspray or bounce back. At this price, it is rare to find any other paint sprayer with so many features.
The pattern size is adjustable too, from small circular to wide. While many HVLP paint sprayers have a low wattage motor which can’t do an adequate job, Fuji 2203 has a 2-stage 14W bypass motor, a clear assurance that your job will be done right.
- Has an air control valve
- Comes with a powerful 2-stage system
- High pattern fan control
- 2-year warranty
- Applies paint evenly
- Has a powerful motor
- Multipurpose, can be used on more than just automotive painting
- This is a non-bleed spray gun
- It is not cheap
- So noisy
- The metal easily corrodes
- Compared to its competitors, Fuji 2203 has fewer adjustments
TCP Global Brand HVLP Spray Gun Set- 3 Spray Gun
Occasionally, just a single spray gun isn’t enough in spraying your car. Maybe you are in haste, you need to paint fast, let it dry so that the client will get it all souped up or you have a journey and you need your car at its best, TCP spray gun set will help you do this effortlessly.
Painting a car is a process that includes base coats, top coats and final touch ups, which means you have to waste some time cleaning and reusing the one spray gun you have. With TCP however, you have three spray guns with separate cups, different sized nozzles and steel needles. All these spray guns have a wonderful manual adjustment feature that allows you adjust the spray patterns, control the fluid flow and air pressure.
TCP can spray even the thickest materials and it always delivers consistent results. The 1.4mm fluid tip gun is best for base coats, clear coats and any other clear to medium paints while the 1.8 fluid tip gun handles oil base, primers, latex, latex and other medium to heavily viscous coatings quite perfectly. The smallest 1.0mm tip detail gun is best for tight areas and touch up.
The package also has two, one-litre aluminum caps with lids, a 150cc stainless steel cup with lid and one inline mini moisture filter.
Made of stainless steel, its operating pressure is 29-50 PSI. You also get an instruction manual on how to use it, and a one-year warranty.
- Has a beautiful finish
- It is a unit, with three spray guns
- Comes with a maintenance kit as well as instruction manual
- Unit has three spray guns
- Guns have manual adjustment features
- Saves time
- For a price of one, you get three spray guns
- Good for small projects, not the best quality
- The guns clog
So, which spray gun would you rather buy? The above spray guns are each fit for spraying your car, depending on your preference. The precision required to spray a Mercedes Benz might not be the same when it comes to spraying a tractor.
When it comes to painting cars using an air compressor, Devilbiss is best of the best. It atomizes better than any other paint sprayer and you can see the difference in your clear coats. For a full time auto worker, this is the best choice of a car paint sprayer. It is extremely versatile, rugged, refined and requires no much effort. It however is a bit expensive.
The Graco Sharpe on the other hand is a good midrange choice if you are painting from a compressor. It has a better build quality with a more refined spray cup. This is a great choice for professional painters who do not need absolute perfection in painting or for ambitious DIYers who intend to take their work a notch higher.
Fuji 2203 comes in as the most affordable for users who want a true and complete HVLP system. This paint sprayer can easily compete with Graco Sharpe for finish quality. However it is very affordable, recommended for DIYers who are looking for a multipurpose paint sprayer. You however need to know from the start that it won’t give you professional results since its less powerful compared to professional-grade turbines.
An important thing to note is that an airless paint sprayer should be a no when shopping. Much as we like airless paint sprayers in other projects, they have so much overspray compared to other types of sprayers. This means you will waste so much of the spray, an extra expense and since car paints are expensive, it will be just senseless to waste money on a paint sprayer that is going to cost you.
Airless paint sprayers also create so much bounce back since they are working at high velocities. So if you are buying a paint sprayer for painting a car, stay away from any airless paint sprayer.
On the flipside, any auto-painting expert will tell you that the best car paint sprayers are HVLP. This is because they have a high transfer efficiency and unlike the airless sprayers, they do not waste paint. They bare known for their minimal overspray and bounce back, besides having easily adjustable parts which are easy to replace as well.
Painting cars is not just like painting any other surface. Imperfections on car surfaces are more visible compared to a house wall or wooden furniture, reason why you need flawless consistency. Besides, car material cost a lot of money and you won’t like to waste it. While car painting is regarded as a serious job, we hope the information above will make matters easier for you, especially when it comes to purchasing a new paint sprayer for your car. Take into consideration all the information given, then make a choice based on your preference and budget.