The last phase of any painting project, which is basically the finish/coating is very important. However, it isn’t the easiest, especially if you are using a paint brush or a roller unless you are a professional painter, not a DIY. A paint sprayer makes it equally easy for an expert and a learner. Besides, you need a perfect finish. So you need to look for the best spray painter, one that won’t be difficult for you to use, will be quick and suitable for the project.
Painting a home isn’t the same way as painting a car. These are two different surfaces which need different techniques. A home is a larger surface compared to a car, hence will take much time to paint. So, how do you ensure you pick the best home paint sprayer?
There are lots of sprayers in the market, each intended to help you complete your painting job as easily as possible. However, there are differences in regards to features, design and so on. So for you to have a paint sprayer that fits your needs, you need to choose it basically according to the requirements of your job, like the texture of the surface, coverage area, the type of paint and finishes. Here are five questions you should ask yourself whenever you are shopping for one;
- How often will I spray using this paint sprayer?
- In one year, how many liters (Gallons) is it recommended I spray?
- What is the usable coating thickness?
- What are the tip sizes I can use?
- Which types of projects or surfaces am I going to spray?
But in our case you are a homeowner so you already know that what you want to spray is an exterior (or interior) of a wall, fence or a ceiling.
There are three types of paint sprayers;
- Airless paint sprayer- Instead of aerosolizing the paint, an airless paint sprayer pumps the paint through the nozzle at high pressure. It is so great for thicker paints and finishes hence a recommendation for outdoor painting like fences and finishing work. Also good for shutters, decks and lattices.
- Compressed air sprayer- As the name suggests, these sprayers use compressed air to paint evenly. Although they cost less compared to other types of paint sprayers, they are messier and use more paint due to more overspray. These are best for DIY small scale jobs like cabinets, furniture and other refinishes.
- High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) Paint sprayers. These stream paint on a continuous volume of air. As such, they work evenly but slowly hence need lighter paints and won’t work well with viscous paints. They are best for interior trim and finishing works.
That said, we are going to look at five of the best home paint sprayers.
Tacklife SGP15AC Advanced Electric Spray Gun
[amazon fields=”B06Y3QKQY4″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Tacklife SGP15AC Advanced Electric Spray Gun”]
[amazon fields=”B06Y3QKQY4″ value=”button”]
This is a very easy to operate paint sprayer which has some amazing features that efficient spraying power. First, the spray nozzles come with three modes; horizontal, vertical and nummular. These modes are meant to help you coat your project more efficiently with less paint wastage as you can adjust the spray pattern to match the surface you are coating using the nozzle control.
Moreover, the 900mm canister is specially designed to be easily and quickly refilled through the twist of the cap at the front of the sprayer. This advanced spray gun also comes with a funnel to avert overfilling and any messy spills when adding the paint. The package includes a 5.9-foot power cord which is compatible with most three-prong electrical extension cables. This cord gives you room to maneuver while adding those finishing touches on your painting project.
Tacklife Advanced electric spray gun has a motor rated at 400 watts, which provides plenty of power for fast and even coating, causing no sputtering or spitting of paint as well as causing drops and runs. In case of any spitting or clogging, you should dilute you paint a little with water or primer. The most admirable feature of this spray gun however is how its components are easily detachable. Every part that comes into contact with paint is fully washable between uses as they can all be broken down for cleaning. This increases the spray gun’s lifespan and prevents old paint mixing with the new paint between uses.
This is a portable hand-held electric spray gun made of ABS plastic, which is suitable for different painting jobs as well. You can use the funnel to measure viscosity of a paint, you can open the cover to add some more point without having to take down the whole container and it is easy to control the smoothness of a paint. On purchase you get the whole package that includes the spray gun, a canister, a funnel, a cleaning needle, a cleaning brush, two gaskets, three-mode spray nozzle, a user manual, a warranty card and a 24-month warranty.
- 400W motor provides plenty of power for fast painting
- Easy to wash since the parts are easy to disassemble
- Comes with a 900mm detachable paint reservoir
- Has three spray modes; horizontal, vertical and circular
- 9-foot compatible extension power cord
- Comes with a 24-month warranty.
- The adjustable valve knob can adjust the spray gun’s flow rate to what you want
- You can refill the paint directly without having to screw off the container
- The nozzle needs cleaning so regularly in between refills
- Without the extension cord, this spray gun will be difficult to use on full rooms or big projects
- Noisy while in application
HomeRight Finish Max C800766 Home Paint Sprayer
[amazon fields=”B003VKFDEO” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”HomeRight Finish Max C800766, C900076 Paint Sprayer”]
[amazon fields=”B003VKFDEO” value=”button”]
One of the problems you are likely to face when using a brush or a roller to paint is getting an even coat and fine finish. No matter how careful you are, you will still end up with brush or roller marks and that won’t go away. With paint sprayers that is sorted, especially if you are using this HomeRight Finish max paint sprayer.
HomeRight allows you to apply the right amount of paint without the paint dripping or running. The fill reservoir is easy to fill while the nozzle is easy to adjust such that immediately after purchase, you can be at work with it. All you need to do is add your paint to the reservoir, plug the unit to the power source, aim at the wall and pull the trigger. You can adjust the spray stream by twisting the nozzle to vary between vertical, horizontal and circular patterns. These allow you to adjust to the spray pattern that suits the surface you want to paint.
This paint sprayer comes with a brass spray nozzle which produces superior spray results besides extending the lifespan of your sprayer. Brass does not degrade when cleaned with paint thinners or even other solvents. It fits perfectly in your hands and you won’t be fatigued using it for large area applications since it is very light. When compared to other sprayers, it is more user-friendly and can even be used by beginners.
Additionally, HomeRight is fully compatible with almost all kinds of paint, varnish or coating and this allows you to apply textured paint, even coats of varnish or other finishes easily and quickly on any project. While in some sprayers you need to dilute some paints, with this one you can add the paint to the reservoir direct from the container.
This is an altogether excellent paint sprayer for home painting, which works exceptionally well in all works and finishing works.
- Has a compact ergonomic design
- Durable brass spray nozzle
- 3 adjustable spray patterns
- Comes with a 6-foot power cord
- Has a powerful 400W motor
- It is lightweight
- HomeRight is quick and covers a large surface area in no time
- Not all parts easily disassemble for cleaning
- The paint reservoir can’t be refilled without being removed from the sprayer first.
Graco Magnum 257025 Paint Sprayer
[amazon fields=”B004Z2090U” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Graco Magnum 257025 Project Painter”]
[amazon fields=”B004Z2090U” value=”button”]
This is another heavy duty paint sprayer which works very well in different applications with any kind of coating you intend to apply through aerosol spray. If you want to reseal a wooden deck, paint a room floor or ceiling, you only connect the hose to your finish container and there, fire up the steel piston pump and there, you are good to go.
Operating this paint sprayer doesn’t require much from the operator besides care and ensuring that it is clean after every use. Besides, you should ensure that you do not exceed 50 gallons per year as recommended in terms of annual usage.
Graco Magnum comes with an attachment that lets you connect a garden hose to the feeder tube through the power flush adapter. This makes cleaning flusfes easy and fast every time. Besides, if the nozzle clogs while you’re working, you only reverse the tip to clear that blockage and you’ll be good to continue working.
The powerful air compressor lets you easily and quickly adjust the pressure. This in turn keeps the paint or any other finish smoothly flowing regardless of whether it has been thinned for use with a sprayer or not. If you are a professional, or you intend to regularly paint your home, then this paint sprayer is perfect for you. Besides, it is versatile enough and portable hence can take on any painting job.
- Has a steel piston air compressor with variable pressure.
- Easy to clear blockage by reversible tips
- Powerflush connection works with home garden horses
- It is compact and lightweight
- Supports a suction feeder tube of up to 50 feet
- Needs complete flush after every use
- It is difficult to use this paint sprayer in tight places
- Has a very noisy compressor
Wagner 0528080 Control Max HVLP Sprayer
[amazon fields=”B003PGQI48″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Paint Sprayer”]
[amazon fields=”B003PGQI48″ value=”button”]
Items that offer professional-grade features are always more attractive. Wagner is such type of paint sprayer, offering the best in both professional and DIY worlds. It features a metal paint cup that enhances durability if you are going to spray finishes that can destroy plastic cups. Besides, there is a larger 1.5 quart plastic cup to be used with plastic friendly coatings and finishes. As if that is not enough, the pressure is variable hence you can look for the right setting for your current coating medium needed for the project.
The spray is always consistent with just a few quick passes whether you are spraying varnish, lacquer, latex or any other interior coating. Unlike the Graco magnum, Wagner Control max gives you room in case you need to maneuver around for your painting. It also makes it easy to go around since it has a 20-foot air compressor hose.
Once the compressor is separated from the spray nozzle, the spray’s overall weight significantly reduces. This will let you paint for longer periods without having a strain on your arm, wrist or shoulder. If you need to change the spray pattern to match the surface you’re coating you only twist the nozzle to change between vertical, horizontal and circular patterns. Although it has these professional grade high-end features, this sprayer is quite simple to operate by anyone.
The nozzle and spray patterns are easy to disassemble and clean in between uses and this will allow you keep it in great condition for as long as possible.
- The air compressor and the spray nozzle are independent
- Air pressure is variable.
- Has two cups, a high quality metal cup and a plastic one
- Comes with a 20-foot long air hose to help you maneuver easily
- Has three spray modes
- Easy to operate even by a DIY
- Has pro-grade high-end features
- Easy to disassemble and clean in between applications
- The power cord is relatively short
- The pressure only varies between 1.5-2.63 PSI
- The spray nozzle is made of plastic
Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
[amazon fields=”B0026SR0FW” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer”]
[amazon fields=”B0026SR0FW” value=”button”]
The second product from Graco Magnum and the last one in this list, Graco X5 is compact with an inbuilt stand and can handle more extensive use. This one is intended for a more often use and can handle up to 75 gallons of use each year, a capacity that makes it suitable for use on quarterly basis.
Rather than aerosolize paint and finishes, Graco X5 functions by spraying streams of paint at a high pressure. This makes it ideal for use with thicker paints and finishes and for outdoor painting. A flexible suction tube inside the box can be used with paint or varnish buckets up to 5 gallons, while the sprayer also comes with a power flush attachment that connects your sprayer to a garden hose. This ensures fast and thorough cleaning if you’re done for the day.
The tips are reversible too so you don’t need exchanging tips when cleaning blockages. You also do not have to disassemble the spray gun if it begins to spit and sputter mid-project.
This is a great home paint sprayer for any home painter, be it a professional or DIYer. It delivers quality and powerful results making it an excellent choice for any painting project.
- It has a powerful 3000 PSI air compressor
- Reversible nozzle makes clog clearing quick and easy
- Its maximum annual use is 75 gallons per year
- Easy rapid cleaning with the PowerFlush attachment
- It supports up to a 75-feet feeder suction hose
- Ideal for thicker paints and outdoor projects
- It is compact and has an inbuilt stand
- Not easy to maintain as it requires thorough cleaning between uses
- In case of repair or replacement, it must be sent to the factory
- Not for a year round personal use
You do realize that home painting isn’t a small task (unless all you’re doing are small touch ups) hence you need a paint sprayer that will be up to the task. However, you are likely to get many paint sprayers matching your search criteria. There are other important features that should be decisive in your choice. They include;
- Spray nozzle- A brass spray nozzle is much easier to clean compared to a plastic one. Besides, it is less prone to clogging. This should be among the features you look out for as it also won’t degrade when subjected to some more chemically active paints.
- Adjustable pressure. If you are planning to use your paint sprayer with multiple types of paints/finishes, then this is very important. The varying viscosity of the fluids has an effect on how much pressure is needed. Otherwise, you will be needed to thin the paint to what the sprayer can handle, which is another whole lot of work.
- Easy to clean. Ensure the paint sprayer you buy is easy to clean. The breakdown of your paint process should be quick and easy too. For your sprayer to be easy to clean, its assembly and disassembly should be easy.
- You are painting a large section of area which will take some time hence you need a paint sprayer that is portable. Not only portable but also quite lightweight. Since you will be moving around, a heavy paint sprayer will fatigue you before you are done. Go for a lighter sprayer.
- Power Source. For home use, electric-powered sprayers are the best to use. You however need to consider other options, like battery powered and compressed air sprayers.
- The paint sprayer you intend to buy should be something within your financial reach. The most expensive paint sprayer isn’t necessarily the best suited for your job. You should look for a paint sprayer that is within your price range, or slightly higher.